Monday, July 14, 2014

Red Velvet Fried Chicken

Okay, I know this sounds weird, and I was honestly skeptical when I first saw the recipe until I tried it. I mean really who pairs cake with chicken unless the cake is for dessert? I've heard of restaurants dipping their chicken in red velvet cake batter before frying their chicken. But honestly, I'm not going to take the time to make the batter just to dip my chicken in. Go to the shop, buy a single piece of red velvet cake, that's enough to do an entire chicken. Swap out the cake crumbs for you breading and the rest is the same for frying chicken. Easy-Peasy! Although, in my case I have to buy 2 pieces of cake and do 2 chickens because of Bubba and the Crew.

  

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 whole chickens, cut into pieces and skinned except for the wings.
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 2 large eggs, slightly beaten.
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • red velvet cake crumbs, about 2 large pieces, I used this recipe 
  • Peanut or vegetable oil for frying

 DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a large cast-iron Dutch oven or deep fryer heat oil to 350 degrees.
  2. Place flour,salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Place eggs and cake crumbs in two more shallow dishes. Set up your breading station in this order flour, egg and cake crumbs.
  3. Cover each piece of chicken in flour, then egg and then cake crumbs.
  4. Fry you chicken in batches, about 5 minutes per side. Turn chicken with tongs. Internal temperature of chicken should read 160 to 165 on a meat thermometer.
  5. Remove the chicken to a paper-towel lined plate or draining rack on a sheet pan.
  6. Chicken can be kept warm in a low-temperature oven, on a rack on a sheet pan, until ready to eat.
  7. Best served with cream cheese mashed potatoes and greens.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment