Monday, July 7, 2014

Coconut-Oatmeal Crisps

My Grandmother baked all the time, I guess that's where I got my love for baking from. Even though I don't eat sweets, I still bake on a regular basis for Bubba and the crew, and I'm always looking for new, exciting cookie recipes to keep the cookie jars filled. Not the same ole, same ole, chocolate chip, peanut butter or even oatmeal cookies will do for them. They need a variety of cookies to keep them happy. When I came across this oatmeal cookie recipe recently, I knew that I had to try it on them {did I mention that they are my guinea pigs for new recipes?}. At any rate I got a thumbs up while they were scarfing the cookies down, so this recipe's a keeper.
Chewy oatmeal {yuck} cookies get sweet and crispy with the addition of rice cereal and coconut {allergic to}, to make a winning combination for your family to enjoy.
Great for the holiday cookie swap, bake sales, pot-lucks, or just keeping the cookie jar full.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup unsalted butter {2 sticks}, softened
  • 3/4 cup raw sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, at room tempature
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
  • 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large cookie sheet.
  2. On waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
  3. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugars until creamy, about 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with a spatula.
  4. On low speed, beat in vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  5. Gradually add the flour; beat until just blended, occasionally scraping the bowl with a spatula.
  6. With a wooden spoon, stir in the oats and coconut.
  7. Drop dough by rounded measuring tablespoons, 3-inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheet.
  8. Bake until tops are golden, 11 to 13 minutes.
  9. With a wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. Repeat with remaining dough.
  11. Store cookies in cookie jar up to 2 weeks.

ACTIVE TIME: 30 MINUTES
BAKE TIME: 11 TO 13 MINUTES PER BATCH
MAKES 66 COOKIES


  

No comments:

Post a Comment