Sunday, July 6, 2014

FRENCH DIP SAMMY'S

The Fourth is over and it's back to the weekend grind of planning a satisfying menu for the week coming up. Lately, I've noticed that I've fallen into a food-rut, the same ole, same ole, only on different days of the week.
Today I happened to receive some new cookbooks that I had ordered a while back. YEA...no more food-rut I thought, I can use my new cookbooks to plan my menu. If you are like me you have an overwhelming cookbook collection, and can never decide which ones to use.
I collect cookbooks, I read cookbooks {like they are books} and then I place them on the shelf to collect dust. I've got tons of recipes in files, on my computer, in magazines and in cookbooks and I seem to never use them. I get recipes from my favorite bloggers everyday, file them away and never use them, are we seeing a pattern yet?  I even have my own food blog and I write my own recipes, yet unless I'm developing a new one, the same ole, same ole food-rut continues!!!!
Well time to turn over a new leaf and start using all these recipes for planning my weekly meals. No more food-rut I say...Bubba will be so happy that I'm finally using my recipes. No more fend-for-yourself night, different and exciting meals all year long, WHOO...I'm tired now, no more ranting, on to the recipe at hand.

Ingredients: 

  • 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups beef stock
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon horesradish, plus more to taste
  • 8 ounces gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 pound roast beef, thinly sliced
  • 4 hoagie rolls, split
Directions:
  1. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cook, stirring until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; reserve the skillet.
  2. Meanwhile, make the dip: Bring the beef stock and nutmeg to a simmer in a small saucepan; remove from heat and add the horseradish and 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Cover and keep warm.
  3. Layer half of the cheese then the roast beef, onion and the remaining cheese on the rolls.
  4. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sammys and top with a heavy skillet to flatten the sammys, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts, about 4 minutes per side.
  5. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 2 sammys. Serve with the dip.

ACTIVE TIME: 35 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 35 MINUTES
SERVES: 4

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment