Sunday, July 6, 2014

HOMEMADE HOT GIARDINIERA {ITALIAN PICKLED VEGETABLES}

I love pickled vegetables of all kinds, pickles, peppers, onions, pretty much anything I can pickle I will. My recipes are endless and I find new ones all the time. Giardiniera is one of my all time favorites because it goes so well with a host of foods. This recipe is one of my all time favorites for a really tasty Giardiniera.
I usually serve it with sammys, and Three Cheese Calzones as a side dish. It's also great as an appetizer, snack or on a game-day table.

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup table salt
  • 1 cup small sliced carrots
  • 1 cup tiny cauliflower floretes 
  • 4 to 8 serrano peppers, sliced {depending on heat level desired}
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 stalk celery, sliced small
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

  1. Combine 2 cups water and the salt in a glass bowl. Mix until the salt is dissolved. Add the carrots, cauliflower, serranos, garlic, celery and bell pepper to the salt water and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  2. Day 2, drain and rinse the vegetables. In a clean bowl mix together the oil,with the oregano and pepper.
  3. Add the vegetables and mix to combine. Allow to marinate overnight. Garidiniera will only get better over time.
  4. After 2 days in the bowl at the most, you can place in air-tight mason jars and keep in the fridge for at least 2 to 3 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment