Monday, July 14, 2014

Potato Gratin with Gruyere

Cheese, who doesn't love it? Bubba says that I shouldn't be let loose in the gourmet cheese department of the supermarket because I'm a mouse. The cheese's all look so good to me and I usually come with more than we could ever eat. So, if I don't eat it all first, I have to find different ways to cook with all the cheese I buy. To me cheese is the ultimate munchie food. This classic French side dish { made with nutty Gruyere cheese } is well suited to accompany roasted meat or poultry. I serve it with Turkey Breast with Spinach-Herb Stuffing and Steamed Broccoli with Gremolata Crumbs. For a perfect Sunday Supper!

 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded { 1 1/4 cups }

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a shallow 8-cup baking dish. Set aside,
  2. In a 6-quart saucepan, combine heavy cream, cayenne, and salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
  3. Add potatoes and cook 2 minutes or until cream thickens slightly, stirring gently with heat safe spatula.
  4. Transfer half of potato mixture to prepared baking dish; sprinkle evenly with half of Gruyere. Top with remaining potato mixture and Gruyere.
  5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender and top is golden and bubbly.

ACTIVE TIME: 15 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 50 MINUTES
MAKES: 8 SIDE-DISH SERVINGS

   

No comments:

Post a Comment