Friday, July 11, 2014

Chicken Noodle Soup

My Meema made the best Chicken Noodle Soup there ever was. When I was a child,  if I got sick she would make her Chicken Noodle Soup, bring it over and serve it up to me. As hard as I try, I can't equal her soup. I think it's because of all the love she put into making it. Don't get me wrong I put plenty of love in my soup too, but it's not Meema's love. Meema taught me so much, how to cook, how to sew, how to lave unconditionally, how to laugh at everything and anything. She always said that it took more effort to frown than to smile. She truly believed that there was a bright side to everything, and she was right!

For old-fashioned flavor with a minimum of fuss, try this hearty version of the cozy classic. Although it's not traditional, a squeeze of fresh lemon will brighten the  flavors.

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 pound reserved chicken from homemade chicken stock or skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
  • 3 cups medium egg noodles, uncooked {8 ounces}
  • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions:

  1. In a covered 3-quart saucepan, heat stock and water over high heat.

  2. Meanwhile, in a 5 to 6-quart sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

  3. Add celery, carrots, hot stock mixture, and pepper; cover and heat to boiling over high heat.

  4. While vegetables are cooking, cut chicken into 3/4-inch pieces.

  5. Uncover pot and stir in egg noodles; cover and cook 3 minutes.

  6. Stir in peas and chicken, cover and heat to boiling, 3 to 4 minutes.

  7. Serve with a wedge of lemon and some crusty sourdough bread.


ACTIVE TIME: 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 25 MINUTES
MAKES: 5 MAIN-DISH SERVINGS






 

No comments:

Post a Comment